The Rio Grande, the Bosque and Sandia Mountain, all important parts of Sandia life
- Tuf Shur Tia - Green Reed Place
- Language: Tiwa
- Size: 22,877 acres
- Population: About 500
The people who originally settled at Sandia migrated into the area from the Four Corners area in the 1300's. By the time Coronado and his men arrived in 1540, the pueblo numbered around 3,000 people. In 1617 the Mission of San Francisco was built and in 1680, the people of Sandia were prominent in the Pueblo Revolt of 1680. The Spanish came back in 1681, 1688 and 1692, each time attacking the pueblo and burning the village. Those who escaped each attack fled to Hopi and resettled in the village of Payupki. After each attack some returned but after the Spanish reoccupation in 1692, they abandoned Sandia for Payupki. In November of 1742, about 440 of the Sandians came back. They petitioned the Spanish governor to be allowed to resettle their former lands but their requests were ignored until a Spanish priests submitted the documents for them. In 1748 permission to resettle was granted.
On May 24, 1762, Governor Tomas Cachupin ordered the Pueblo of Sandia to be completely rebuilt and that no Indians were to be worked as laborers for Spanish farmers until the pueblo and church were completely reconstructed. Then the Sandians were allowed to reoccupy their original pueblo to create a "buffer" against the Navajo, Apache and Comanche who enjoyed raiding Albuquerque. In 1775, Sandia, acting as that buffer, lost 30 people in an attack from the Comanche. The Comanche also attacked Santa Fe in force that caused Juan Bautista de Anza to lead Spanish militia into Colorado and engage with the Comanche. The Battle of Cuerno Verde ended with most of the Comanche command structure dead and the power of the comanche severely reduced. However, between the Navajo, Apache and small bands of Comanche, Sandia was constantly raided until a truce was struck near "Poi Pa Huth" or "Friendship Arroyo" in the Placitas area.