Santa Clara Pueblo
- Kha-P'o: Valley of the Wild Roses
- Language: Tewa
- Size: 47,000 acres
- Population: 2,600
The Santa Clarans are descendants of the residents of Puye, a group of mesa top and cliff dwellings located about 10 miles northwest of today's pueblo (but still on the reservation). The present pueblo was established in the mid-1500's to get the people closer to the Rio Grande in a time of severe drought.
Coronado's men first encountered the Santa Clarans in 1541 but the pueblo didn't have what the Spanish were looking for so the tribe was left alone for a few more years. Missionaries did eventually arrive and they had their first mission church built by 1622. It was destroyed during the Pueblo Revolt of 1680. When the Spanish returned in 1692, the Santa Clarans joined with their San Ildefonso cousins and fought against the Spanish from the top of nearby Black Mesa. They held out until 1696 but as it got clear they were losing the fight, many members of the pueblo escaped and went west to join the Hopi and Zuni. Most of them had returned to the pueblo on the Rio Grande by 1702. Over the years two more mission churches were built in the pueblo and both fell. The present church was built in 1918.
It is felt that Puye was settled after the people migrated to the Pajarito Plateau from the Mesa Verde area in the 1200's.
Santa Clara has a long history of pottery making and there are more than 200 active potters in the pueblo today. Until the 1920's, the majority of Santa Clara pottery was undecorated redware, blackware or made of a natural micaceous clay. In the late 1920's Sara Fina Gutierrez Tafoya and her daughter, Margaret Tafoya, developed what is now known as deep-carved blackware. The two women were also instrumental in promoting the "bear claw" as a pueblo signature until today, it is the most recognized Santa Clara symbol. The Tafoyas also bucked the trend of producing smaller and smaller wares by creating some of the largest vessels ever made in the southwest.
Today, the pottery tradition at Santa Clara is to constantly modify the tradition. Potters have been experimenting with their art for years and have essentially created the field of miniatures. They also developed the art of sgraffito by scratching and painting elaborate designs that include pueblo dancers, nature scenes, animals and ancient Mimbres designs.
While Santa Clara is best known for its pottery, other artisans create beautiful beadwork, woodcarving, sculpture, embroidery and weaving.